Friday, July 11, 2014

The Veggies are Hiding!

Who Knew?

I had been so enamored by the beautiful display of the zinnias in this flower bed, I had forgotten all about the eggplant I planted behind them in the same bed this year.

I just wanted something to grow up my garage-sale-find garden obelisk and back in the spring, a friend had given me a starter plant of eggplant.
All along, in the shade of these beautiful leaves, an even more beautiful veggie has been growing!


Now, how does one cook an eggplant? 
Especially when you only have one of them?


Here's the recipe I received from a website called "Dr. Mike" @ http://www.drmikediet.com/the-17-day-diet/eggplant-parmesan/
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Eggplant Parmesan

eggplantParm
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 large eggplant, peeled
  • 4 egg whites
  • Fat-free Parmesan cheese
  • Garlic powder, to taste
  • 1 cup of low-carb marinara sauce
DIRECTIONS Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut into ¼ inch slices. In a shallow dish, beat egg whites and 4 tablespoons of water until foamy. Dip eggplant slices into egg whites, then into fat-free Parmesan cheese, pressing cheese into eggplant. Place eggplant on prepared baking sheet that has been sprayed with vegetable spray and sprinkle with garlic powder. Spray vegetable cooking spray over eggplant slices. Back 30 minutes at 400 degrees, turning eggplant over after 20 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Cover with 1 cup of low-carb marinara sauce. Bake for 20 minutes, or until eggplant is piping hot and sauce is bubbly. Makes 2 large servings.


What other vegetables have I forgotten to check on?

No comments:

Post a Comment