Thursday, June 7, 2012

Garden Produce - a "snacks" worth!

The one thing I'm learning from gardening this year is that I won't gain any weight or need a bushel basket to collect my vegetable bounty!
Almost 2 months ago I planted the following starter plants in my cinder block raised bed:
3 tomato, 4 okra, 2 zucchini, 2 yellow squash, 6 cucumber, 1/2 pkg of green bean seeds, and a lot of flower seeds (these were just to make it pretty!)

Maybe I was overly optimistic - I envisioned not needing to travel to the local farmer's market or needing to peruse the produce isle at the grocery all summer.

I finally did my 1st "picking" .... and I got
3 cucumbers and 3 beans ... and 2 green tomatoes!



I guess I wasn't thinking too well - or maybe I just haven't given it enough time - or maybe a small vegetable garden is meant just for "snacking"!
There is a zucchini coming along nicely ...

.... and a couple of okra are on the plant
(it turns out that I bought purple okra!)


I don't have enough to eat a whole meal from all of this .. 
but looking on the bright side:

I've gotten lots of exercise hauling blocks and dirt and bending and stooping;
I've gotten a suntan working out in the yard during the heat of the day;
I've gotten over my fear of squashing tomato hornworms,
and to top it all off -

it's been a LOT of fun!





No comments:

Post a Comment